Conclusion writing is a small part of your college essay, but not less important than introduction. In essay conclusion you answer the question put to college English essay early. Essay conclusion should not be a mere summary of the paper. Essay conclusion should be critical as you are expected to assess what has been accomplished and whether you achieved the objectives set for the essay writing.
Conclusion writing may present the reader with the restatement or reinforcement of the main ideas. You need to mention the thesis statement in other words as well. Writing an essay conclusion, you should strive to generalize the whole work and aim to leave an unforgettable impression on the reader. Fortunately, the impression you make is positive. There is legitimate and illegitimate generalization.
- You generalize legitimately when you try to draw conclusions from the evidence that you have set before the reader.
- If you generalize in an illegitimate way, you make sweeping statements for which there is little or no basis.
Essay Conclusion Writing
At the end of the essay, a concluding paragraph should briefly and concisely summarize the most important results of your discussion. This is your final opportunity to remind the reader once more of your overall line of argumentation by repeating the thesis statement and by giving a short summary of your results. Furthermore, good concluding paragraphs contain a kind of outlook which transcends the actual findings of your research and places them in a wider context.
- For example, you could point out the exemplary nature of your essay and how your approach would lead to valuable results when applied to other essay writing.
Basically, the outlook should expand the focus and context of your English essay writing, thus demonstrating that your approach possibly could have wider implications that go beyond the limitations of the academic essay at hand.
Conclusion Writing Tips
- An outline can initially help you to organize and communicate your thoughts effectively.
- You write essays because they teach you something, not just as an exercise to prove you can write.
- Writing essays clarifies your thinking and gives you some idea of how well you understand your topic.
- Turn questions into controversial propositions and question these to raise further issues.
- Irrelevant material often creeps into essays through your failure to understand what the main issue is.
- Irrelevant material can be good material that has found its way into the wrong essay or is in the wrong place.
- You cannot make your points yet ignore relevant research or literature in the field.
- When you have read potentially useful, but quite confusing material, this is when you are most likely to lose sight of your essay title.